Sunday, July 01, 2007

Opposite

There is one thing about my life that has never failed to follow me no matter where I've gone and what I'm doing. I call it "Oppositism".

When I was a small boy I wished for a BMX. I got a type of bicycle that I can't name but I swear it could have been made for girls.

When I was in the final year of kindergarten, I wanted to join the yellow group for a sports event. I was put in green.

When I was in primary school, I wanted to be the striker for the school hockey and soccer team. I became the goalkeeper.

When I was in high school I was so sure I would score high and be in the top 20% of all students in Yr 12 in Western Australia. That would mean scoring 400 out of 500. I scored 399.

When I was in University I was so sure I would get this girl so I asked her to date me. She refused and went the other way. Okay, you could always call this something else...

Even when I came to Singapore, oppositism followed. I went to an interview with company A and I was so sure I'd get it. Yep, of course I didn't. I ended up with company B. Even when I have to catch a bus from no matter where, all the buses that I DON'T want will appear. The bus that I want would invariably be the last one to show up. Oppositism.

Long have I thought of ways to fend it off. In my desperation to lose oppositism, I've even considered chanting, praying, sacrificing, shaving my head bald but I doubt any of these options would work. Perhaps I would do the opposite of what I want to do. Like being a bum so I can be a CEO. Be a beggar so I can be rich. Be fat so I can be thin (wait..that's not happening...).

Some may call this destiny or "aiyah, it's your life!". I call it oppositism, not far from a curse perhaps?

1 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Blogger miss ene said...

The rest of the world calls it "Murphy's Law".

We should kill Murphy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home