Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Adulthood

As I was no longer working for the school I could not be present to witness the graduation ceremony of my students yesterday. I had really wanted to be there to "see them off" but unfortunately I could not due to work commitments.

I remember well my first graduation at the University of Western Australia about 10 years ago. Oh man...10 years ago!

Anyway I thought the entire process was quite boring actually. The Vice Chancellor and some VIP gave some speech and then we were all herded on to the stage like sheep. My name was NOT mispronounced. When I finally got my degree I felt a mixed sense of relief and dread. Relief because I had successfully gotten a degree. Dread because now I had to work and become and adult. The pictures that was taken are still kept at my home in Perth gathering dust somewhere. Some year after that when I finished my Postgrad I chose to skip the graduation ceremony because I simply did not see much point in it. I was grateful to the school and my peers but I did not want to subject myself being dressed up in some fancy costume and listening to some speech which I would forget the next day.

Here I am almost 10 years after that ocassion and I think I am right where I had always wanted to be. I had goals when I finished my degree and some took many years to materialize. Some haven't and some probably will never materialize. But that's okay.

To all of you who have just graduated, congratulations and welcome to adulthood. Welcome to working life. Welcome to making your own decisions. I am sure many of you will do just fine in life. Good luck.

4 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Cleopatra said...

Thank you Mr. Lee! And you're right about graduation ceremonies being boring. It was boring, but nice to see everyone together for one last time. Thank you once again for your lessons and making TAS come alive for many of us. I thought I'd let you know that I'll be moving to Perth next month so let's keep in touch and we can meet up when you go back there! All the best to you...

Cheers,
Cleo

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Atlantic Amethyst said...

Mr Lee!! HAHAHA U're so riiiight about that part being sheep ok!! But I was a nervous sheep u know! My hands and feet were shaking like leaves. It took some time for the MC to say out the whole chunk 'Sentosa Leisure Group - Partner of the Tourism Academy at Sentosa Gold Medal' and finally my name. There was this other lady beside me tryin to prevent my feet from crossing this black tape in front of me coz I couldn't stop moving, and she must be wondering why. I couldn't stop laughing when i read the whole entry, I can so imagine your expression just like you're sitting in front of us over lunch tellin us your tales. Even though we really miss you being there for us, it's ok not being there, I feel. Hmmm certain things will always be remembered about you and that's what that matters most. In fact, plenty. e.g. camera man, IG meetings, bcs, lodging... OPERA my god... and that little quirky action of u rotating your water bottle and going 'hmmmm'. This's one of your most iconic gestures, you know that? Every batch noticed it u know!!! (And we tried to act it out and see who resembles you most!!) HAHHAA hope you having fun now in KL! And Ivy's back too! We're gonna gather! FOR *REAL*!!

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

would be nice if you were here =( welcome to the adulthood..yeps..
graduated.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr Dillion

Where ru working now? U left TAS already? Sounds like I'm so outdated which I think I'm.

Hope to meet up with you soon again.

After working for 3 weeks.... studying is really better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home